Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Indoor Bird Activities

Any birds out today will need water wings. It poured all night long. Many local roads are closed. So I am doing "indoor birding." My subscription to Birds of North America online was to expire today, so I took care of renewing. If you haven't looked at this resource, you should.

BNA is an on-line resource which replaced a very expensive series of books a few years back. I use it when I am preparing to make a presentation about birds, write an article, or just want to listen to the calls of a bird for identification. You can sign up at bna.birds.cornell.edu. This is just one of the great resources available from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Since I am sure I will talk about other items at some point in the future, I won't now.

Today is also the monthly meeting of the North Texas Bird and Wildlife Club. Although the group has programs on many nature-related topics, the favorite topic is birds. Tonight's program is on Birds on Coins. The group meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7 pm at the NALC building on Southwest Parkway in Wichita Falls, TX. Like many clubs, the group is small but dedicated. Guests are always welcome.

No comments: