I haven't worked at Wild Bird Rescue in a couple of weeks due to my schedule, but am working today. It is apparent that the bird was dyed, now that it is molting. The feathers coming in are white and possibly a brown color.
Although the pigeon is self-feeding, its head is twisted, and he is uncoordinated. We are wondering if he is continuing to ingest poison from the dye as he preens. We are hoping that once he finishes his molt and all of his feathers are dye-free, the poison will leave the pigeon's system. The question is whether there will be any permanent damage.
One has to wonder why a person would cause any animal to suffer just to change its color.