Friday, November 28, 2008

Winter is Here

October is usually a beautiful month in Wichita Falls, although by the end of the month, it can get a little nippy. But it is usually dry and sunny with perfect temperatures. November is when the temps and weather start turning a little more surly. So far, this month has been much like October. Aside from a couple of nippy days in the 30's at night, it has been warm, sunny and dry.

Last night a front moved in, bringing clouds, a little moisture and lower temps. This morning I went to Lake Wichita Park to do a little birdwatching, Temps in the 40's and some sparse showers. But the winter birds are definitely here. I stopped because Jimmy Hoover, a member of the North Texas Bird and Wildlife Club, mentioned the tank had been covered with ducks earlier in the week. I can't say it was covered today, but I did see Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Duck, Mallard, American Coot, Bufflehead, and Pied-billed Grebe. Flying overhead were Double-crested Cormorants and White Pelicans.

Winter sparrows were abundant. Surprisingly, I did not see any White-crowned Sparrows, but did see Savannah Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and a Harris Sparrow. I was also fortunate to see a Common Yellowthroat. I also saw a flock of meadowlarks, which I don't often see in the park. My walk was rounded out by a mockingbird, juncos, robins, cardinals, blue jays, great-tailed grackles, eurasian collared doves and several Bewick's wrens.

Not bad for an hour's walk.

No comments: