Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cotton is King in West Texas

I had a business trip to Hobbs, NM so found myself driving across west Texas on Sunday and again on Tuesday. It is cotton harvesting time--cotton balls everywhere. In some places near the fields, it looked like snow. Cotton is definitely king out west. I knew cotton was important, but I admit to being surprised about the peanuts! I'm still associating peanuts with Georgia (which just shows how much play you can get out of someone in the White House). In addition to bales and bales of cotton, there were several huge peanut processing plants.

But back to cotton....I saw thousands of sandhill cranes on the way back on Tuesday, all of which were in the recently harvested cotton fields. I wonder why that is. If anyone has a thought, I would be interested.

Good birding!

No comments: