Saturday, January 3, 2009

El Despoblado

Yesterday I received my first copy of El Despoblado, the e-newsletter of the Sibley Nature Center in Midland, TX (see www.sibleynaturecenter.org/newsletter.html.) I had visited their website before, but this is the first time I read the newsletter. It is a collection of articles and pictures submitted by naturalists throughout the state. Pretty pictures and a variety of interesting information.

One of the articles was by a friend of mine, Paul Dowlearn, the owner of Wichita Valley Nursery in Wichita Falls. He suggested replacing the crepe mrytle with the Texas Mountain Laurel as the Texas state shrub. I agree that the crepe mrytle should be replaced. Although it is pretty and very common in Texas yards, it is not a Texas native. You would think the state anything would be native to the state.

Overall, I would recommend the newsletter to those interested in Texas natural history. I did not find a way to sign up for the newsletter on the webiste, but if you email Burr Williams, the Executive Director, at bwilliams@sibleynaturecenter.org, I am sure he will sign you up.

Good birding!

No comments: