Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's Not ALL About the Birds

Although I have a special passion for the birds, I am interested in all nature's creatures. Consequently, one of the groups I am a member of is the The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation. The Fall 2008 copy of Wings, the organization's magazine came yesterday. I very much enjoy the pictures and articles.

This month I was thrilled to see an article on freshwater mussels (I participate in the TPWD Nature Trackers Mussel Watch program) and one on grasshoppers, which I promised to learn more about in the coming year. The organization recently revamped its website, making it a wonderful resource for anyone interested in invertebrates. The website is http://www.xerces.org/. Check it out. If you have any interest in these fascinating creatures, consider the $25 membership--it's worth the money.

Cool quote from Fall 2008 Wings article, "Small Animals That Pack a Big Punch:"

"Bugs are not going to inherit the earth. They own it now. So we might as well make peace with the landlord." Tom Eisner, former Xerces Society president.

Good birding!

No comments: