Saturday, February 14, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count Underway

Yesterday was the first day of the GBBC. The weather was beautiful and I didn't get a chance to get out of the office. Bummer.

Today is cold, windy and we have a freezing rain watch. Figures.

I did go out for a little bit this morning when I went to Wild Bird Rescue and looked out over Lake Wichita. In a short 15-minutes, I saw well over 100 white pelicans, 20 ring-billed gulls, 2 pied-billed grebes, a bufflehead, 6 American coots, a flock of over 200 red-winged blackbirds, 5 lesser scaup, a raft of ducks on the far side I couldn't identify, a crow, a mourning dove, a great-tailed grackle, a cardinal, and a blue jay. Not bad.

I'll take another look around when I go back to WBR this afternoon--I am expecting an injured red-tailed hawk from Childress.

I put out extra seed in the back yard for Project Feederwatch today with the cold. The squirrels will also appreciate the sunflower seeds and I can watch birds in the warm.

Terry McKee has arranged for Channel 3 to do a story on the GBBC tomorrow morning. The Rolling Plains Texas Master Naturalists and the North Texas Bird and Wildlife Club members will meet on the short of Lake Wichita to do a count. Lake Wichita is getting a workout on the count. I am going to try to get to Lucy Park tomorrow.

Good birding!

No comments: