Saturday, March 7, 2009

Birds Moving

It is spring and birds are moving. When I went to Wild Bird Rescue this morning, I saw a group of about 200 ring-billed gulls circling overhead. There is a front moving through (hopefully with some rain), and I imagine having the wind at their backs will encourage the gulls to start toward their summer home. At the feeders behind WBR were white-crowned sparrows, house sparrows, blue jays, cardinals, red-winged blackbirds, Inca doves, and Eurasian collared doves.

I did take a short walk down the chat trail to the tank in Lake Wichita Park. In about 20 minutes I saw and/or heard: Carolina wren, Carolina chickadee, cardinal, white pelican, ring-billed gull, great blue heron, ruddy duck, bufflehead, American coot, great-tailed grackle, yellow-rumped warblers, Bewick's wren, white-winged dove, Eurasian collared dove, turkey vulture, belted kingfisher, red-winged blackbird, and starlings.

Good birding!

No comments: