Thursday, January 28, 2010

Issuing Life Preservers
















We're getting a little rain today. It has been raining steadily all day. The first picture is at the side of my house. I just took a shot straight down at my feet coming back from refilling the feeders to show what the birds are having to contend with in their search for food on the ground. I am getting ready to issue little life preservers.
The second picture is our front yard.
Large numbers of birds have cleaned out my feeders today. I am not having more types of birds, but the regular ones are arriving in droves. We have a winter storm warning for ice tonight, with a projected accumulation of 1/4 - 1/2 inch--as much as 3/4 inch on the north side of the Red River. The temperature has already dropped to 32 degrees, so the weather forecasters may be correct. Given the frenzy at the feeders, I daresay the birds are expecting bad weather.
I'm planning to make a big pot of soup tonight.
Good birding!

1 comment:

Elizabeth B Hawley said...

And today it's sleeting and snowing!