Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Weather Forecasting

Even if I hadn't heard the weather forecast for tomorrow, I would bet good money that the weather will be taking a turn for the worse. My feeders are jam packed today.

The birds seem to know when bad weather is coming. Although I have had good numbers of birds for the past several days, the demeanor of the birds today is decidedly different. They are more frenzied and if there is food, they are staying put. No waiting in line politely--no, if one bird seems to be staying too long, another is pushing it aside to get to the goodies. The only time my feeders have been empty was when the big black tom stray settled in under the cedar tree. Even then, the only feeders that emptied out were those under that tree--just a few feet away, the birds were still stuffing their faces. I had to go out to refill one feeder in the back earlier, and I will have to go do all of the feeders on the side of the house before dark.

According to the weather forecast, we are expecting bitterly cold weather for this area with possible ice. It is 60 degrees right now--high of 25 the next two days with night temps in the single digits. Keep the food and water going.

Good birding!

No comments: