Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Well, our annual winter storm has arrived. Heavy sleet started at around nightfall last night. This turned to snow overnight with some heavy winds. Cold, cold, cold!


I went out this morning to knock the ice off the bird feeders and to spread some seed on the ground for the juncos and other ground feeding birds (see photo, left.)



The birds didn't even wait for me to go back inside before coming out for the food. It will be a challenge for them today to keep warm. The squirrels are also braving the wind for the sunflower seeds.




You may not be able to see through the fence, the spotted towhee who showed up even before light to look for a handout. Since I don't have to go anywhere, I can spend the day watching the birds in my yard. I might also start working on my March 7 presentation at River Bend Nature Center on bird migration. (In between working on "real work" stuff.)

How much better can life be?


Good birding!

No comments: