Monday, March 21, 2011

Pretty Spring Morning at Lake Wichita

Ruby-crowned kinglet. Photo courtesy of US National Park Service

Spring is definitely here, although I do wish we were getting the "spring showers" spoken of in the little ditty. However, the trees and shrubs are beginning to leaf out. This is the excellent time of year when the birds are singing their heads off and the nascent foliage allows you to get a good look at birds. Judging from the change in my yard from one day to the next, I would say, those good views will be gone in a week, even without rain.


Yesterday was a little overcast and breezy, but it was still a good morning for birds at Lake Wichita. One of my favorite sightings of the day was a ruby-crowned kinglet in one of the live oak trees at the corner or the football field. Although ruby-crowned kinglets are very common over the winter, this little guy was getting ready for mating season. He was singing his heart out, and I got an excellent view of his ruby crown--usually, the crown isn't visible.


I also had a flock of 25 -30 sandpiper-type birds fly over my head. I initially thought Wilson's snipe, but they seemed a little slender. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good look to be certain of their identification, but it was still an awesome site--I don't think they were much more than arm's length above my head.


There were still a number of different types of ducks on the barrow pit, although not large numbers of any particular species. The ducks will be heading back north soon, so I enjoy seeing them while I can. There were still several cinnamon teal on the water.


I then drove past Wild Bird Rescue and was pleased to see a purple martin on the wire--hopefully, they are moving into the popular marting house there.


Sightings Sunday included: American coot, ruddy duck, bufflehead, ring-necked duck, blue-winged teal, cinnamon teal, gadwall, northern pintail, mallard, northern soveler, Canada goose, ring-billed gull, killdeer, turkey vulture, northern harrier, hairy woodpecker, northern flicker, rock pigeon, mourning dove, white-winged dove, Eurasian collared dove, tufted titmouse, ruby-crowned kinglet, American goldfinch, cedar waxwing, American robin, northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, blue jay, Eastern phoebe, Carolina wren, yellow-rumped warbler, red-winged blackbird, great-tailed grackle, brown-headed cowbird, white-crowned sparrow, song sparrow, savannah sparrow.

Good birding!

1 comment:

Elizabeth B Hawley said...

Great sightings! AND you get to see them again and again because you are staying in town! Yay!