Sunday, January 20, 2013

Feeling Better

I have been feeling a little cooped up lately. I haven't birded much in recent weeks, and I needed a break. So this morning, I made a break for it. Although my Texas Century Club counts would have been better served by a morning in a different county, but since this is my day at Wild Bird Rescue, it was more convenient to bird Lake Wichita Park, so I did.

It was a beautiful morning--bright sunshine, light frost and no wind. I didn't have great birds, but I had some good birds, and more importantly could feel my stress level drop almost immediately. The lake levels continue to drop. If we don't get some substantial rain soon, it is going to be a tragic summer for birds and other wildlife.

Here are the birds I saw this morning: northern shoveler, mallard, Canada goose, double-crested cormorant, American coot, greater yellowlegs, killdeer, ring-billed gull, Eurasian collared dove, American kestrel, northern flicker (yellow-shafted), downy woodpecker, cardinal, blue jay, American robin,  red-winged blackbird, European starling, great-tailed grackle, house finch, American goldfinch, song sparrow, field sparrow, Harris's sparrow, white-crowned sparrow, and house sparrow.

Overall, a great attitude adjustment.

Good birding!

No comments: