Friday, December 6, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

One set of feeders out back (Ignore the rest of the mess)
Brrrr! It is really cold here and we have several days of below freezing temperatures to go! Yes, those of you in the great frozen north are probably playing your tiny violins for us as you go through this all of the time, but for people who have become acclimated to the warmer weather of Texas, this is really something unusual. We might be below freezing for one day, maybe two, but it is rare indeed for it to go on for nearly a week, as it is predicted to do. As you can see in the photo to the left, there isn't a lot of snow, it's a thin layer of ice with a hard layer of crusted snow over the top.

Fortunately, those of us in the Wichita Falls area got less snow and ice than predicted, although we got enough. My poor birds are very happy for the buffet in the back yard, especially with a layer of ice on the ground that isn't going to melt anytime soon.

I hope you are putting out food for the birds, and just as importantly, water. My rainwater harvesting unit I would normally use to fill the bird bath is frozen, so gray water it is. I left it on drip yesterday, but I don't see anything dripping out of it today--hope it doesn't break.

Looking forward to seeing some birds today. Yesterday I had my first juncos at the feeders.

Good birding!


No comments: