Monday, February 8, 2010

Beavers and Buffleheads


The beavers are really going after the trees along the chat trail in Lake Wichita Park. I didn't see any beavers Sunday AM, but I saw lots of evidence they are in the area. It is not uncommon to see them in the drainage ditch along the Chat Trail.
When I arrived at the barrow pit, there were fewer ducks than usual for the winter although it was fun watching three male bufflehead ducks in their pursuit of a female. Obviously, birds are beginning to pair up before leaving for their nexting grounds up north. Three males were in hot pursuit of one of the females. I don't know what made her so special, as there were several females on the water, but I didn't see any courting activity toward any of the others. Anyway, when she flew a little ways, they flew. When she dived, they dived. When she was on top of the water, the three of them displayed. I could describe it as somewhat akin to head bobbing, but it wasn't exactly, as it involved their entire body--looked a little like "scooching." It would have been nice to have a video camera to capture it.
You just never know what you'll see on a morning's outing.
Good birding!

2 comments:

Elizabeth B Hawley said...

Oh, I'd love to see the buffleheads. I was delighted to hear that Lake Wichita also has mink. Have you seen any? Lake Wichita is an asset to Wichita Falls.

Penny Miller said...

Lake Wichita does have mink. I see them most often along the dam, although I have seen them behind Wild Bird Rescue on occasion.

I couldn't agree more about Lake Wichita's value to the community.