Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Bird Bath a Happening Place This Morning

Well, my birdbath (left) has been a happening place this morning. In less than an hour since sun up I have had a cardinal, several juncos and a robin. When I went out to take this picture, I startled a little ruby-crowned kinglet when I walked up on the bath. I didn't even see him until I was focusing the camera. You can see the sides of the bath where the water has been thrown. I'll have to go out later and refill.


Bird baths and other water features can be a huge draw for birds. In our area, they often draw as many birds as the feeders do. And some birds who don't eat at feeders will come to the water, so it is another good way to add variety to your birdwatching experience.

However, most bird baths are too deep. My husband and kids got me the birdbath in the picture as a gift, but I added the sloping piece of rock to allow better access to smaller birds. You can also add rocks to the bottom of the bird bath to create shallow pools for smaller birds to bathe. I find the larger birds like robins enjoy the deeper areas and the smaller birds use the edges and the rock for their ablutions.
If you don't have a bird bath of any kind, think about getting one!
Good birding!

No comments: