Sunday, February 19, 2012

Book Review: Birds of India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives (2nd Edition)

Princeton University Press sent me a review copy of Birds of India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives (2nd Edition). What a beautiful book.

Since I was a child, reading Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, I have wanted to go to India. I haven't made it yet, but if I ever get to go, this book will be in my suitcase, even if something else has to be left out.

This book has 226 color plates, showing 1,375 species--all residents, migrants and vagrants. What makes the guide especially useful is that the species descriptions and maps are directly across from the color plate. Considering the number of species represented, this is a very compact field guide.

Richard Grimmett is head of conservation at BirdLife International. Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp are freelance wildlife consultants.

This book is $39.50 from Princeton University Press. It shows up for $26.07 on Amazon.

Looking through the book has me ready to pack my bags and go!

Good birding!

No comments: