Saturday, April 13, 2024

Anyone with a Good Squirrel Recipe?


Momma Squirrel at Feeder

In general, I love my squirrels. I know many birdwatchers don't like squirrels because they eat a lot of bird food, which isn't cheap. However, I enjoy watching their antics, and they ensure the dogs get plenty of exercise trying to catch them.

Having said that, I have one squirrel that may find itself in a stew pot soon. I looked out my window the other morning, and there was one of my squirrels, sitting right in the center of my spider plant, munching away on one of the leaves. Since then, I have found leaves and sprigs of baby spiders on the ground under the planter. My spider plant is looking mangled at this point. I am rooting the babies in hopes that if the big plant succumbs to mistreatment, I'll be on the way to replacing it.

I am not sure what brought this on. That same plant hung outside all last summer with no problems. So far, they haven't bothered with any of the other pots on the patio. Right now, there are 7 pots out there and this is the only plant they have messed with. Any ideas? Anyone else having a similar issue?

By the way, note the bent up sunflower feeder. Something is pulling the feeder down at night (only this one) and bending it up trying to get into it. Raccoon, maybe?

Good birding!

No comments: