![]() |
| Three birds feed at a tray feeder in Maryland., Mikey Lutmerding, Public Domain, https://www.fws.gov/media/three-birds-feed-tray-feeder-maryland |
Most people feed their birds only in the winter (except their hummingbirds, which are only here in the summer). After all, there is plenty of food available in the summer, right? In general, that is true.
I feed all year, although I do cut back on the number of feeders in the summer and feed less food. However, I do continue to feed my birds in the summer months.
Breeding season is tough for birds. Babies require constant food. They develop very quickly so they need a lot of protein and fats continuously. Most new songbird hatchlings need to be feed every 15 - 30 minutes. After a couple of weeks, the frequency goes down to 30 - 45 minutes, although the quantity of food does not. Let's say you are a cardinal parent. Most cardinals hatch 3 - 4 nestlings and may have as many as 4 clutches in the nesting season (I know the pair in my yard is on it's third clutch now). Not only do mom and dad spend all day running around catching insects for their young, they too have to eat.
Baby songbirds need protein--i.e., insects. They cannot eat seeds, and seeds don't have the type of nutrition they need anyway. However, their parents can eat seeds. It's an easy way for them to keep up their energy during this very trying time. Can you imagine the calories they are burning running around trying to find a meal and running it back to the nest for 4 babies every 15 minutes? In this heat? Summer feeding can give them a boost to get through the summer nesting season.
So yes, I feed in the summer. Besides food, I focus on keeping the bird baths full. If you don't have a bird bath, a large saucer or tray will do. Keeping that clean and full can be almost a full-time job when the weather is consistently above 100 degrees for days on end. One issue is bird seed tends to spoil faster in the heat. So, even though smaller bags of seed are more expensive initially, smaller bags help prevent having to throw food away, so it works out. It is also critical to keep the feeders clean. Ideally, you will want to clean them weekly.
A couple of weeks ago, I heard a baby cardinal in the back yard. I looked out my kitchen window and there was a male cardinal at the sunflower feeder, getting a snack. I did find the fledgling cardinal on the ground. Although the fledgling seemed to be searching the ground for food, dad was still helping him. At this point in life, the young birds can eat seeds. Dad took a sunflower seed and took it down to the ground for the young one.
Give you bird parents a hand by providing some fast food this summer. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to watch your birds.
Good birding!

No comments:
Post a Comment