Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Inca Doves

Photo of Inca Dove from Wikimedia Commons, taken by Clinton and Charles Robertson.


The tiny Inca dove is one of my favorites and I have been discouraged that I have been seeing so few of them lately. Bob Lindsay of Wild Bird Rescue tells me he has several that regularly come to the feeders there, but to me it seems we are seeing fewer in our area all the time.





I had a pair of Inca that were visiting the yard, but I hadn't seen them since last winter. Yesterday, I looked out the window to check my feeders, and there they were. On the ground, eating away. Of course, there is no way to know if these are the same birds, but I was thrilled to see them anyway.





I have rarely heard an Inca dove call and I have been able to find only one recording online. I usually hear them when they fly--their wings sound like dry leaves rustling. Although a pale gray when sitting, in flight they show russet colored feathers under the wing.

Good birding!

No comments: