Sunday, January 16, 2011

Yes! Tundra Swans

Six tundra swans were still hanging out at the far end of Bridwell tank on this cool, wet and windy morning. They are big enough to get a reasonable look with a good pair of binoculars, but a scope would have been nice.

It was good to see them. In addition, there were a few other birds hanging around the tank or on the other side of the road in Lake Arrowhead: gadwall, mallard, Canada geese, double-crested cormorant, great blue heron, white-crowned sparrow, American kestrel, red-tailed hawk and American coots. I also drove around to the boat ramp on the west side of Lake Arrowhead and picked up a couple of white pelicans. On the drive out and back, also saw numerous meadowlarks, great-tailed grackle, mourning doves, as well as a couple of killdeer and a northern harrier.

I got back and had a Harris's sparrow cleaning up under my feeders at home. I have seen this bird a few times now in the yard, but it appears I have only one. Darn it! There was also a white-winged dove perching on a swinging suet feeder, pecking at the suet. I have never seen them try suet before, but I am beginning to think those birds will try anything.

Good birding!

No comments: