| Errol Taskin/Project Feederwatch |
One of the activities I enjoy every year is Project Feederwatch. I see on the website that I have been participating for 28 years. Whew!
This citizen science projects provides important information on changes in bird populations over time. The Feederwatch website provides a summary of various studies and articles which used the information Feederwatchers have provided. However, the best part of Project Feederwatch is that you have another excuse to spend time watching birds.
The next Feederwatch season starts on November 1 and runs through April. There is an $18 fee to participate (Cornell Lab of Ornithology members are $15). However, you get a lot of enjoyment from that $18.
This is an excellent activity for shut-ins and children. You can watch the birds from your windows. There is a minimum 15-minute timeframe to participate, which is great for kids, but you can observe for as long as you like. This is also a good activity for schools and scouts. If you have a group of children and would like to take part, but the fee is a barrier, email me at txbirds@gmail.com, and I'll see what I can do to support you on this.
Good Birding!
No comments:
Post a Comment