Thursday, February 18, 2021

Early Visitors

With all of the snow, the birds have been hot and heavy at the feeders. I have an occasional red-winged blackbird visit the feeders, but we're talking once or twice a winter, not on a regular basis, probably because there is usually plenty of natural food available. Yesterday, I  had dozens of them because the natural food was covered in a foot of snow and it was darned cold. 

This morning I got up and had at least 200 red-winged blackbirds converged on the area where I ground feed. Mingled in among them were two yellow-headed blackbirds. I caught a quick picture with my cell phone through the blinds (and a dirty window). If you look between the slats on the deck, right in the center, you can see two yellow heads. I didn't see any females, but there were so many blackbirds for such a short period of time, I didn't have the chance to look for them. We have a pair of Cooper's hawks in the neighborhood, so the birds are constantly startling.

Usually, I don't see yellow-headed blackbirds until around April. I couldn't recall ever seeing any this early in the year, so I checked eBird. According to eBird, there is not a record of one in Wichita County before 15 March. Good thing I got a photo, poor quality though it might be.

Just goes to show, birds don't read the field guides. Keep an eye on your feeders for unusual birds. You never know what you might see.

Good birding!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so fantastic!

I've only seen one yellow-headed before & that was up in Iowa many years ago.

One of my favorite early birding stories happened in about 1998.

My boyfriend & I were living in a 2nd story apartment that had a huge tree that grew close to the house & the front porch.
It had those itty-bitty, adorable pine cones.

I had just begun "seriously" birding-- which to me meant that I bought my first pair of binoculars-- or, "nocs" as we liked to call them, or "goggles"--- we thought we were cool.

That winter we noticed that red-winged cross bills were hanging out in that tree eating the pine cone seeds!

Fortunately, we snapped several pix & got them developed.

We attended our first Audubon Christmas bird count that December & mingled a bit afterward.

As we were in our late 20s & seemingly the youngest folks there-- by about 50 years, we felt largely ignored...
--Until we mentioned the red-winged cross bills!!!
Of course, we were met with largely disbelieving responses, that were quickly quelled when we mentioned that we got photographic proof!!!

We became the
Baby Belles of the Ball,
after that!!!

It was so much fun!

And a prime reason to keep yer camera at the ready!!